The area around Malak Preslavets is rich in monuments of cultural-historical heritage dating from different times and civilizations. The steep bank of the river between Malak Preslavets and Vetren, in the thick loess layers, archaeologists are still finding ceramic tools from primitive times. They date between 1 000 000 and 10 000 years B.C. and are some of the earliest monuments of Homo Sapiens in Bulgaria and on the Balkans.
A pre-historic settlement situated 3.2 km to the north of the village, near the north-eastern part of the swamp along the Danube bank, discovered during the construction of an irrigation facility in the 1980s. It dates back to about 6 000 years B.C. and belongs to the Early Neolithic. It belongs to Gradeshnitsa and Starchevo-Krish culture. It is one of the earliest stationary settlements yet found in Dobrudzha. Several magnificent ceramic vessels, artefacts and some prehistoric settlements have been discovered in the area. One of them has a unique prehistoric tomb dating from the 6th c. B.C., which has been restored. The body found there was in ‘khokir’ (prenatal) position. This is one of the earliest dated burials found in Bulgarian lands and on the Balkan Peninsula.
A prehistoric settlement, 2.6 km away from the village, situated on a lake terrace. Dating from the Bronze Age. A prehistoric Thracian settlement, Roman, Late Roman, Early Byzantine and Early Middle Ages Bulgarian fortress. Situated 3.7 km north of the village and 0.5 km southwest from the port in the Gradishteto and Marata localities. A partial archaeological investigation has been carried out on the site containing a U-shaped and a fan-shaped corner tower dating from the Late Roman Age.
An Early Middle Age settlement and fortress situated 4.2 km north of the settlement and 0.5 km east of the port, in Sara Borun Locality. The fortress is in a landslide area, so most of it has collapsed in the Danube. Traces are visible of the southern wall built of cyclopean blocks stuck with clay; there traces of a dyke. The surface reveals fragments of Early Middle Age ceramics.
The Roman Road – dating from the Roman Age (2nd – 4th c. A.D.) passing through the area of Malak Preslavets was one of the most important roads in the Roman Empire along the Danube connecting Rome and the Black Sea via Vienna.
Talking about the Roman roads on the Balkan Peninsula, Prof. N. Mutafcheiv wrote in his History of the Bulgarian People: These big roads were used by the Roman armies, the state mail and for that reason they were equipped with all possible facilities of the time. There were well-maintained stations where travellers could spend the night when travelling longer distances."
According to the map of Castoria, the Roman road running along the Danube, coming from Nove (Svishtov), Sexaginta Prista (Ruse), Transmariska (Tutrakan) also passed through the Roman Station of Nigrianina then situated in the Gradishteto locality near the present day village of Malak Preslavets and continued through Candidiana (Popina), Tegulichia (Srebarna), Dorostorum (Silistra) up to the mouth of the Danube.
A marble table has been found in the ruins of Gradishteto with an inscription describing the battle of the Bulgarian Khan Krum with the Byzantine Emperor Nikephoros in 811 A.D. The table is in the Archaeological Museum in Sofia.
A letter from the Kiev Knyaz to his mother when he visited Malak Preslavets is further testimony of the impressive beauty of Gradishteto: ‘Mother, if you want to see land more beautiful than Kiev, come to Kada-Kyoi’ – the letter is kept at the National Museum of History in Sofia.
From the inscription on a marble column in the Forty Holy Martyrs Church in Veliko Tarnovo we learn about Khan Omurtag’s Glorious Home on the Danube. This inscription was first copied and published by Hristo Daskalov in 1859. The inscription and all proto-Bulgarian inscriptions discovered in 1905 have been translated and published in Volume 10 of the Announcements of the Russian Archaeological Institute in Constantinople by Theodore Ouspensky, Director of the Institute.
Khan Omutrag (814-831), having built his Glorious Home on the Danube, carved a proto-Bulgarian inscription with Greek letters on a marble plate in order to commemorate this important event in his building activity.
During the Second Bulgarian Kingdom, Tsar Ivan Assen II built the Forty Holy Martyrs Church in Tarnovo to commemorate his victory over the Greeks near the village of Klokotnitsa in 1230. At that time the marble column with Omurtag’s inscription was transported and used as a support element in the Church. The column and the inscription have been preserved to this day.
Omurtag had the following inscription carved on the column to remind the generations to come of his construction activity. Part of the inscription says: ‘A man even living well dies and another man is born. And let the one born later, looking at this inscription, remember the one that has made it. And the name of the archon is Omurtag Khan Syubighi. May God bless him to live for a hundred years.’ A marble table has been found in the ruins of Gradishteto, where the Glorious Home once used to stand, with an inscription describing the battles of the Bulgarian Khan Krum with the Byzantine Emperor Nikephoros in 811 A.D.
The marble table with the inscription is kept at the Archaeological Museum in Sofia.